Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship
AABC has prioritized increasing diversity at the AABC Birth Institute. We recognize the importance of diversity in birth center providers and the need for birth centers that provide culturally sensitive care to women and communities at risk. Our goal is for AABC conferences and the member community to include, encourage, and recognize people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, and sexual orientation.
Help us raise funds to award 30 full scholarships!
We will be awarding up to 30 scholarships for the 2018 AABC Birth Institute. To be eligible for the scholarship an individual must be a birth center provider, owner, staff or student who identifies as a person of color, native, indigenous, and/or LGBTQ. Each scholarship will include:
- a general registration to the conference
- Birth Center tour and dinner
- Birth Center Directors Network Meeting (if applicable)
- AABC Foundation Gala "Boots & Bling"
- $500 travel stipend
Additionally AABC will match scholarship recipients with a conference mentor and provide additional support from AABC staff as needed.
Individuals wishing to apply for consideration may complete the online application form addressing the following questions:
- How are you involved (or plan to be involved) with AABC? (150 word limit)
- How would attending the AABC Birth Institute benefit you? (300 word limit)
- Tell us about your diverse life experiences and how they would bring a different perspective to the Birth Institute. (300 word limit)
Our expectations for scholarship recipients is that they will attend the entire AABC Birth Institute. We do not expect scholarship recipients to be responsible for being an ambassador for their group or an educator of others. While learning and exchange may happen as a result of interactions between conference participants, scholarship recipients are encouraged to focus on getting the most out of their Birth Institute experience and have no special duties or obligations apart from attendance, participation to their comfort, and giving us feedback on their experience.
2018 Application Period
The application period is now open and you can click the button below to begin the application. The deadline to apply is July 1st, 2018.
What makes a strong application?
Want to maximize your chances of being awarded a Diversity & Inclusion Scholarship? Read our tips and pointers below.
- The open-ended questions on the application have a maximum word limit ranging from 150-300 words, depending on the question. A 15-word answer isn't as compelling as a 235-word answer! Your computer's word processor (e.g. Microsoft Word) will typically have a Word Count button to make sure you don't exceed or fall far short of the word limit.
- Start working on your answers a day or two in advance (either in a word processor or old-fashioned pen and paper) so that you can sleep on it, mull over the question, and compose your best response, along with editing and proofreading, before you submit your final application.
- Lastly, the more you can comfortably share with us, the more informed we will be in deciding which applications are the most compelling. The more details the better!